Before you can participate in classroom instruction, use university facilities, or make use of the professional time of faculty members, you must be officially enrolled in courses at Northern Arizona University. To participate in specific classroom activities, you must also be enrolled for that particular course.
If you are new to NAU, you must be formally admitted to the university, see an advisor, and have the advisor activate your record in the computer system before you can enroll in courses.
The university offers two formal course-enrollment periods for each term:
- early course-enrollment
- regular course-enrollment
During both course-enrollment periods, you can enroll either online or in person.
- You enroll via the Web using the LOUIE system (nau.edu/louie) or in person at any of the university’s advising centers, or at the Registrar’s Office. You are encouraged to enroll online.
- You can find information about enrollment dates and related deadlines at the Registrar's Calendars.
In addition to early and regular course enrollment, new freshmen students (those who have earned less than 13 earned college credits after high school) are strongly encouraged to attend a two-day orientation session prior to enrollment. Click here for more information about New Student Orientation.
Please be aware that you cannot enroll in a course that has prerequisites you have not met. See the Course Catalog and Schedule of Classes (NAU–LOUIE) to determine if courses in which you wish to enroll have prerequisite requirements.
Also be aware that you are not considered officially enrolled until you have paid your tuition and fees or have had arrangements for such payments approved by Student and Departmental Account Services (SDAS) (formerly known as the Bursar’s Office). After your course enrollment is processed, you are notified by e-mail about the amount of tuition you owe. You may pay via the Web through the LOUIE system using MasterCard, American Express, Discover Card, or E-check.
- Credit and debit cards are no longer accepted in-person, over the phone, by mail, or by facsimile for payment of tuition, room, board or other fee charges.
- NAU no longer accepts VISA cards of any kind for tuition, room, board or other fee charges, due to VISA's fee structure. (Some departments, such as the NAU Bookstore, continue to accept VISA.)
Enroll via the Web using Northern Arizona University’s LOUIE system (nau.edu/louie) or in person at any of Northern Arizona University’s advising centers or at the Registrar’s Office. You are encouraged to enroll online. Find information about enrollment dates and related deadlines at the Registrar's Calendars.
Financial Implications: Be aware that eligibility for financial aid, Veterans' assistance, and university housing may be impacted by the number of units for which a student is enrolled. Please contact Financial Aid: nau.edu/finaid/.