Graduate students

Course Repeat, Graduate

Policy Number: 100318

Current Policy

Category: Academic » Enrollment



Graduate students do not normally repeat courses. However, if a grade of “C”, "D", or "F" is received in a graduate course, students may repeat that course with advisor approval.

Courses repeated under the regular grading scale do not replace the grade for the prior course, and both grades are used in the computation of the cumulative grade point average (GPA).

Courses repeated under the P/F grading scale do replace the grade for the prior course, and only the repeated course grade will be used in the computation of the cumulative GPA.

Units earned for repeated courses may only be used once to fulfill graduation requirements.

General Procedure

General Procedure

Graduate students who wish to repeat a course must submit the Graduate Course Repeat Enrollment form, also available on the Graduate College or Registrar’s Office website.

Special Circumstances

Special Circumstances

Possible Impacts of Repeating Courses: Students need to be aware that repeating a class could affect financial aid or eligibility for certain programs. Students who are receiving financial aid should check with a financial-aid counselor about course-repeat rules.

Students who are veterans, athletes, international students, recipients of tribal funding, etc., may be affected by additional rules associated with course repeats. Check with appropriate departments for more information.

Students can petition for exception

Students can petition for exception

Graduate students may petition for an exception to any academic, non-grade-related, graduate regulation for which there is no specific petition process. Petitions should be submitted, in writing, to the Associate Dean of the Graduate College.

Related Policies