Academic suspension actions may occur at the end of the Fall, Spring, or Summer term. You must then remain out of the university for at least one full term (Fall, Spring, or Summer) after the suspension.
Academic Suspension indicates that your cumulative GPA and a subsequent term GPA have both dropped below the 2.0 requirement, and you are subject to the following three restrictions:
- Cancellation of enrollment in the next term. You can request a full refund of unused tuition and fees already paid by contacting the Student and Departmental Account Services (formerly, the Bursar’s Office) at 928-523-3122.
- Cancellation of university housing in the next term. If you are a campus resident, you must contact the Office of Residence Life at 928-523-3978 to officially check out of your hall and receive any refund due.
- Unable to enroll in any Northern Arizona University courses.
If you are suspended, a letter will be sent to the last permanent address listed in the LOUIE student information system (nau.edu/LOUIE). The mailing of this letter discharges all university responsibility for notifying you of your suspension.
If you wish to continue your education at Northern Arizona University after your suspension, you must appeal for reinstatement in writing at least six weeks before the start of the term in which you wish to return. Appeal forms and appeal deadlines are available online at the Reinstatement website. Click on “S” for Suspension to access this information.
Reinstatement is never automatic. You have the strongest possibility of reinstatement if you can present documented proof of the following:
- 12 units of documented academic or developmental course work, completed or in-progress,at another institution, with at least a 2.5 cumulative grade point average:
- Academic course work must be transferable.
- Developmental course work is not transferable, but may be useful for placement purposes.
- It is strongly recommended that you work with your NAU academic advising contact prior to enrolling in the 12 units to see what courses are considered academic or developmental, what courses would be most beneficial to your program of study, and how GPA and coursework will be calculated.
- If course work is in-progress, all coursework must be completed prior to the start date of the term of reinstatement.
- a documented explanation of extenuating circumstances that resulted in your past poor academic performance and evidence that those circumstances have been resolved.
- Visit Guidelines and Procedures for further details.
If you are reinstated to NAU, you will be on academic probation.
If you wish to continue your education at Northern Arizona University after your suspension, you must appeal for reinstatement in writing at least six weeks before the start of the term in which you wish to return. Appeal forms and appeal deadlines are available online at the Reinstatement website. Click on “R” for Reinstatement to access this information.
Note: because of appeal deadlines, you may be away from Northern Arizona University for longer than just one term.
You may not re-enroll at NAU until your appeal for reinstatement has been approved by the Undergraduate Academic Continuation Committee.
Financial Implications: Be aware that eligibility for financial aid, Veterans assistance, and university housing are impacted by suspension. Please contact Financial Aid: nau.edu/finaid/.