Graduate students

Academic Continuation, Graduate

Policy Number: 100319

Current Policy

Category: Academic » Enrollment



Academic Continuation relates to a student’s eligibility to continue attending the university, in this case by meeting pre-established standards of performance—and to remain in a particular program or to maintain the same status, e.g., graduate student.

Graduate students working toward a graduate degree or certificate must maintain a 3.0 grade point average (GPA) for all courses taken and for all courses required in their plan. Additionally, the number of units of “C” grades are strictly limited.

  • No more than 6 units of "C" grades can be counted toward a master's or doctoral degree.
  • No more than 3 units of "C" grades can be counted toward a graduate certificate.
  • A grade below "C" does not earn graduate credit.

A graduate student with a GPA below 3.0 is placed on probation. Students who accrue more than 6 units of graduate work with a grade of "C" or below cannot continue in a master's or doctoral plan, regardless of their overall grade point average.

Admission to a graduate program may be revoked for any graduate student who receives unsatisfactory grades (lower than two grades of “C”). 

Non-degree graduate students may continue as graduate students as long as they maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.

Special Circumstances

Students may petition for an exception to any academic, non-grade-related graduate regulation, in writing, to the associate dean of the Graduate College. The student’s letter of petition should be endorsed by their advisor and department chair.

Financial Implications: Be aware that eligibility for financial aid, Veterans assistance, graduate assistantships, and university housing may be impacted by the number of units a student is enrolled. Please contact Financial Aid:

Related Policies