Withdrawing from a given term (Fall, Winter, Spring, or Summer) at Northern Arizona University means reducing your course load to zero credit units for that particular term. It does not necessarily involve withdrawing entirely from Northern Arizona University. In most cases, if you withdraw from one term, you are still eligible to enroll for the next term.
Please be aware that:
- You are not considered to have withdrawn from a term if you drop courses during a term or session in which you also receive credit for other courses.
- If you fail to withdraw, you may receive a grade of “F” in all of your classes and forfeit any or all deposits.
- If you are currently receiving financial aid or have received aid previously, you may be responsible for paying back money. (If you are unsure about your financial aid status, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid for information.)
The table below outlines the timelines related to the withdrawal process.
Time Period: From the time of enrollment through the Drop-with-a-“W”-deadline
This “W” deadline date and the Drop/Delete deadline vary depending on whether you are enrolled in a regular Spring/Fall 16-week term, Summer-or-Winter-Term, Mini-term (AKA Dynamically Dated /DD, etc.) Find these dates at Registrar’s Calendars, Intersession Calendars, or log in to MyNAU -> Student Center -> Click Class.
Time Period: From the day after the Drop-with-a-“W”-deadline through the last day to officially withdraw from the university. That date varies depending on the length of the term. Find these dates at Registrar’s Calendars, Intersession Calendars, or log in to MyNAU -> Student Center -> Click Class.
Complete the “Withdrawal from Term” form found on the Registrar's Forms site. No additional documentation is required.
All courses for which you were enrolled will show on your transcript with a grade of “W,” indicating withdrawal.
Forms can be dropped off in person, mailed, scanned, or faxed to the Registrar’s Office.
Time Period: From the day after the last day to officially withdraw from the university until one year from the last day of the term being petitioned. The date varies depending on the length of the term. Find these dates at: Registrar’s Calendars, Intersession Calendars, or log in to MyNAU -> Student Center -> Click Class.
Undergraduate students must complete the “Withdrawal from Term” form found on the Registrar's Forms site AND attach required documentation. Graduate students must also include the professor(s) signature(s) or an email from the professor(s) indicating whether the professor supports the petition and why/why not. This “Withdrawal from Term” request must be filed no later than one year from the last day of the term being petitioned.
Your instructor assigns an appropriate grade at the end of the course, which appears on your transcript. If your request is approved, those grades will be changed to a “W.”
Requests to withdraw from a term after the “last day to officially withdraw from the university” are not automatically approved.
Forms from undergraduate students can be dropped off in person, mailed, scanned, or faxed to the Registrar’s Office. Graduate students must submit their forms to the Graduate College.
- Withdrawing from a term may jeopardize your eligibility for continued funding:
- If you have received aid previously, or
- If you are receiving financial aid, or
- If you are receiving Veterans assistance,
- If you have a graduate assistantship, or
- If you have any other type of aid/assistance.
- Please contact Financial Aid.
- You are responsible for contacting Residence Life, the Campus Dining/Meal Planning Office, the JacksCard (University ID) Office, Campus Health Services, and the Northern Arizona University Bookstore to inform them of your withdrawal. Each respective office can let you know if you are eligible for any refunds.
- If you withdraw from a term, you may be eligible to receive a refund of the tuition you paid, depending on the date on which you withdraw. Mandatory university fees are NON-refundable on/after the first day of the term and are separate charges from tuition. For more information, see the Student and Departmental Account Services (Formerly the Bursar’s Office) website at NAU Tuition Refunds.
Withdrawing from a term may also cause consequences for:
- International Students, especially those with F-1 or J-1 visas
- Students who live in Residence-Life-operated housing
- You must be prepared to check out of campus housing within 24 hours after you withdraw.
- Student Athletes
- Other special populations
…so please speak with Residence Life, your advisor, coach, or a staff person.
If you have further questions regarding Term Withdrawal or Withdrawal from NAU, contact the Registrar's Office: 928-523-5490 or 928-523-5491.