Graduate students

GPA (Grade Point Average) Requirements for Graduate Students

Policy Number: 100407

Current Policy

Category: Academic » Grading



Grade point averages (GPAs) are computed using the following point scale.

A — 4 points for each unit of credit
B — 3 points
C — 2 points
D — Does not earn graduate credit
F — Does not earn graduate credit

Computing the GPA

The university determines GPA by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the number of units of credit attempted. In determining the GPA, NAU does not include courses with grades of "AU" (Audit), "P" (Pass), "IP" (In-Progress), "I" (Incomplete), and "W" (Withdrawal)—or courses accepted as transfer credit.

Graduate GPA Requirements

Students working toward a graduate degree or graduate certificate, must maintain a 3.0 grade point average for all courses taken and for all courses required in their academic plan.

  • No more than 6 units of "C" grades can be counted on a Master’s degree.
  • No more than 3 units of "C" grades can be counted on a graduate certificate.
  • A grade below "C" does not earn graduate credit.

Probation Standards

A graduate student with a GPA below 3.0 is placed on probation. A student with more than 6 units of graduate work with a grade of "C" or below cannot continue in a master’s or doctoral plan, regardless of GPA.

Unsatisfactory Grades

Admission to a program may be denied or revoked for any graduate student who receives unsatisfactory grades.

Special Circumstances

Graduate non-degree students can continue to enroll as graduate students as long as they maintain a cumulative graduate grade point average of 2.5 or better.

Graduate assistants, in order to continue with an assistantship, must remain in good academic standing, make satisfactory progress toward a degree, and complete at least 9 units of credit in their program each semester. If the student fails to make adequate progress toward a degree, or receives a grade below a "B," employment may be discontinued at the discretion of the unit.

Students can appeal

Graduate students may petition for an exception to any academic, non-grade-related, graduate regulation for which there is no specific petition process. Petitions should be submitted, in writing, to the Associate Dean of the Graduate College. The student’s letter of petition should be endorsed by his/her advisor and department chair.

Related Policies