Graduate students

Requirements for Concurrent Master's Degrees

Policy Number: 100812

Current Policy

Category: Academic » University Requirements



You may pursue two master's degrees at the same time, with the permission of both programs. To do so, you must be admitted to both programs. Please note that you can count up to 9 units of course work in both programs.  

Units Required for Master's Degree Programs

Each Master’s degree program at NAU requires a minimum of 30 credit units. Many master’s degree programs require more than 30 credit units.

Required Grade Point Average (GPA)

You must satisfactorily complete course work required for both of your graduate programs with a grade point average of 3.0 or better.

Time Limits for Completion

You must complete all requirements for your master's degree within a six-year period. If you take courses from other institutions and transfer them to your program at Northern Arizona University, they must also be taken within the six-year period. (For more information about transfer credit, see the "Petition for Transfer Credit (Master's Programs)" form, which includes an explanation of regulations governing transfer credit for Master's Degrees. 

We may grant one extension of up to one year to complete your degree requirements if there are compelling extenuating circumstances. The reasons for which we may grant an extension include, but aren't limited to, job relocation, military duty, pregnancy, illness, a serious accident, divorce, or other personal tragedies within your immediate household.  

To request an extension of the six-year limit, you must submit a "Petition for Extension of Time Limit for Master's Degree" form to the Graduate College. This form, which is available from the Graduate College, must be endorsed by your advisor and department chair. The final decision is made by the dean or associate dean of the Graduate College.

General Procedure

Discuss your options with a graduate advisor in each of the programs.

Obtain the permission of both programs.

After obtaining permission apply to both programs. (You must be admitted to both programs.)

Related Policies